Our mission is...
… to make exceptional, audacious, collaborative theatre that represents the complexity of modern Scotland, and to take that theatre to our communities and to the world.
...To create meaningful and innovative theatre for everyone
Our work is uniquely inspired by the character, spirit, culture and landscape of Scotland. We place Scottish theatrical talent centre stage at home and on stages across the world.
We want to excite the broadest possible audience with our seasons of ambitious, boundary busting, genre defying theatre in Scotland and beyond.
On Scotland’s stages, in site-specific Scottish locations, on stages beyond Scotland and digitally with National Theatre of Scotland On Screen.
It is important to us that the company’s work is accessible to all. Integrated BSL interpretation, autism friendly and captioned and audio-described performances are on offer for all our productions alongside a yearly programme of relaxed performances.
...To have a significant positive impact on society
We believe in the positive role that the arts can play in civic life, with the potential for personal and cultural transformation and for social change.
We want to explore big ideas, co-create works, encourage citizenship, broaden representation, create opportunities for talent development, support the Scottish theatre sector and other value-led organisations and champion environmentally sustainability.
We want to
- connect with communities, creating impactful relationships and encouraging life changing participation in special theatrical projects.
- develop a nation of artists with our diverse and far reaching talent development programme and opportunities for theatre makers and artists based in Scotland.
- support the dynamic theatre sector in Scotland through partnerships and through sharing the space and resource of Rockvilla - our rehearsal and technical centre in north Glasgow and lead the way in sustainability and being an innovator in environmental awareness.
- address under-representation within board, staff and artists to ensure our priority groups are making a vital contribution to all areas of the company’s work.
- celebrate the diversity and multiplicity of Scotland’s culture and language.
...To Reach and Engage the widest audience possible
We aim to be a ‘theatre for everyone’ touring regularly and widely to Scotland’s big stages, rural and remote locations and beyond Scotland as well as through digital platforms. Audiences are at the heart of our programming and we regularly create special initiatives to diversify our audience base.
We want to
- bring world-class theatre to every child in Scotland with Theatre in Schools Scotland and offer inspiration and insight to young people through our Creative Careers opportunities for secondary school pupils
- ensure that young people aren’t excluded from attending theatre shows by removing financial barriers
- encourage groups of people that have never experienced the joy of theatre-going with our bespoke theatre packages.
To find out more about why we do what we do please read our strategic plan
Header: My Left Right Foot, 2019, Mihaela Bodlovic.