Complaints Procedure

Reports and Documents

If you have a complaint about us, we want to hear about it and we will do our best to put it right. We aim to deal with complaints fairly, efficiently and effectively, and ensure that all complaints are handled in a consistent manner. Strict confidentiality and proper discretion will be maintained, as far as is possible, to safeguard all parties.

Who can complain?

Anyone we engage with. This includes audiences, donors, funders, participants, freelancers, consultants, contractors, trainees, and other workers. If an employee wishes to make a complaint, they should instead follow the Company’s standard grievance process.

How to complain

Our aim is deal with any complaint as soon as possible. Many complaints can be resolved informally. In the first instance contact us and, if you feel able, speak to the member of staff (or team) with whom you have had contact or ask to speak to the relevant manager, who will try to resolve the matter.

If you make contact in person or by phone, please make a note of the name of the person you speak to. If a solution is offered at this point, make a note of this as well.

If you are not satisfied or do not wish an informal solution, you may pursue a formal complaint. Please put your complaint in writing and send it to:

Director of Finance and Administration
National Theatre of Scotland
125 Craighall Road
G4 9TL
Telephone: 0141 221 0970

What Happens Next?

You will receive acknowledgement of your complaint within 5 working days, and you may be contacted to obtain any additional information that we may require to help us resolve the complaint.

You will receive a response to your complaint within 28 working days of its receipt. Any extension of this time limit requires your consent.

If as a result of your complaint, disciplinary proceedings are taken against a member of staff, an internal procedure will apply. You will be informed that disciplinary proceedings have taken place, but as these proceedings are confidential, you will only be informed of the outcome of your complaint outside of any disciplinary procedure.

If a criminal offence is alleged, then the police will be informed.

Can my complaint be taken elsewhere?

You can contact the Office of the Scottish Charities Regulator (OSCR) for further information on making complaints about a charity. Their details are:

2nd Floor
Quadrant House
9 Riverside Drive
Telephone: 01382 220446