We recognise that one of the best ways an artist can learn and develop their practice, skills and networks is through the active process of making work. And nothing beats dedicated budget, time, space and support in fostering the development of a new idea.
Starter is an initiative designed to seed ideas and develop an artists’ practice through the offer of eight residencies that come with a budget (£2500), in kind space and equipment, access to technical advice and expertise, and producing and dramaturgical support.
In 2019, six of the eight residencies will be targeted towards artists with specific practice, skills or experience, with two residency places remaining totally open. Starter residencies are not commissions or production opportunities and all rights to the work generated will remain with the artists and their collaborators.
Residencies can be used to:
- research and develop the initial seed of an idea
- further develop an existing unproduced project
- develop an artist’s skills and practice, or build new relationships
Artists are guaranteed access to working space at the Company’s new facility in Glasgow, but we will try to secure space at other geographical locations if required.
Two Starter residencies will go live for applications every three months.
Whilst some residencies are specifically targeted, artists should apply for any and all residencies opportunities for which they are eligible.
How to get involved:
This opportunity is open to artists across art forms (including theatre, music, sound, movement, film, visual art, story-telling, spoken word etc), who wish to explore a new or existing bold and vital live performance idea that moves forward their practice and career.
- Be resident in Scotland
- Be over 18 years of age
- Be able to demonstrate that you’ve undertaken a relevant artistic project (outwith formal studies)
- Must be eligible to work in the UK and be able to provide evidence through the presentation of a valid passport or VISA if you are a non EU resident.
- Be able to be available on Friday 27 March 2020 for a Starter cohort meet up and debrief
You must not:
- Be in full time education
1) Each residency place will be selected by a panel comprising of National Theatre of Scotland staff and external artists and companies. We will select the artists that most excite us through:
a) the ideas or forms being explored
b) the stated benefit to the artist’s practice
2) We would like to select a 2019 cohort who will reflect Scotland’s diversity. Our intention is to have a gender balance across the cohort, and include artists from ethnic minority communities, socially/economic diverse backgrounds, those who identify as disabled, artists based outside of the central belt and speakers of Scotland’s minority languages.
3) In making their selection the panel will prioritise artists who have some practical experience in the area in which they propose to work. Similarly we may be less likely to prioritise artists who have had more than three fully funded and professionally produced opportunities for selection.
Please note that due to the number of applications we receive we are unable to provide feedback on unsuccessful applications.