Creative Licht is seeking a Project Lead to support the partners in the delivery of the next stage of this Sign Language Interpretation in live performance research and development project.
Between 2017 and 2019, National Theatre of Scotland, Solar Bear, Birds of Paradise, and Sign Arts (Catherine King and Yvonne Strain) designed and delivered Creative Licht, a two-year programme to:
- Develop a cohort of hearing Sign Language Interpreters with increased skills, knowledge and confidence to artistically embed interpretation into live performance;
- Increase knowledge and understanding of the need for artistic embedding of Sign Language in performance and across the theatre and dance sectors (among artistic directors, directors, choreographers, actors/dancers, designers, etc);
- To ensure that audiences in Scotland have a better experience attending BSL-interpreted performances, and to create a quality experience for hearing and BSL-using audiences.
| Role Summary
| Phase One – Design Period (January – May 2024)
A series of meetings to design and approve workshop content, leaders and partners for Phase Two and Three, and appointment of a researcher.
| Phase Two – Delivery and Reporting of Initial Programme (June – December 2024)
Three day-long sessions for interpreters, BSL consultants, deaf performers and industry professionals, each focused on one of our three priorities:
- Performance interpreting as creative practice;
- The role of BSL consultants and how they work in collaboration with performance interpreters;
- How rehearsal room interpreters, performance interpreters and BSL-using cast members work together during a production.
| Recruitment Timeline
- Friday 26 January: Applications open. All applications will be acknowledged. If you have not had confirmation of receipt of your application within 3 working days, please get in touch.
- Monday 4 March noon: Application deadline.
- Wednesday 13 March: Shortlisted candidates invited for interview.
- Wedneday 20 March: Interviews in central Glasgow.
| How to Apply
- Apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide:
- A cover letter outlining your fit for the role. Refer to the description of the project, the roles and responsibilities and the skills required.
- A CV.
- Applications can be in written, audio or filmed format.
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview.
Creative Licht is a project that brings together BSL/English Interpreters working in Scotland with those working in the creative industries, with the ambition of up-skilling all those who take part to develop and improve approaches to interpreted performance.