This year we are offering two Discover Residencies, which are for discovering, doing research and the initial development of an idea or new project. The budget of £5,000 is available for each residency, which will cover lead artist fee (based on two weeks of their time), project costs and materials. These residencies take place over three months.
How the artist would like to use their two weeks of time is up to them (it could be a fortnight, or single days spread out across the three months). They could use some of this budget to work with actors and a director/dramaturg or for time to research.
| We will be hosting a live webinar on the 12 September 10:30am-11:30am , giving potential applicants the opportunity to ask questions about each of the residencies. |
To book your place on this webinar please email email@example.com.
| Discover Residency (Writer)
Outcome is to work towards a first complete draft of a play. Apply to this if you have an idea you would like to develop into a text for performance. Writers need to have had at least one written professional work made. This can have been in any form.
| Discover Residency (Highlands)
Outcome is to work towards sharing the work or details of your residency in an informal setting with peers. Apply to this is if you are looking for a residency which helps you to explore your artistry, ideas and process of making work. This could be undertaking some research of a new work, developing those initial ideas on your own/with collaborators.
Discover Residencies will take place between Jan – Mar 2024.
Discover residencies will also offer artists the following opportunities where required and available:
• access to rehearsal space – at Rockvilla in Glasgow, or Eden Court (Discover -Highlands)
• 1-2-1s to focus on your next steps for development of the work once the residency has ended (including producing and dramaturgical advice)
• technical support and advice
• bespoke opportunities like process pop ins to rehearsals of productions
• access to advice sessions with National Theatre Scotland staff team (which could cover marketing and press, fundraising, touring, engagement)
• meeting with us at the end of the residency to reflect and, if relevant, explore what the next steps of the work could be.
• support of a separate budget specifically for individual access needs. 1-2-1 sessions can be used to support creation of an artist’s access rider – a document which can then be shared with future collaborators.
Both discover residencies will be selected through a separate one stage application round.
| Discover (Writer)
Artists will be selected by a panel made up of artistic advisors and members of the National Theatre of Scotland team.
Application deadline Monday 9 October at 10am, Artists contacted about outcome by 26 October.
| Discover (Highland)
Artists will be selected by a panel including artistic advisors and members of the National Theatre of Scotland and Eden Court teams.
Application deadline Monday 30 October at 10am, Artists contacted about outcome by the end of November, as per your application correspondence.
The outcome of the application process will result in one successful submission for each residency.
Applications for either Discover Residency can be:
- submitted as text, video or audio,
- in your first language, but please contact us prior to submitting your application to enable us to confirm language interpreters.
If you need any further support to submit an application, then please get in touch with us via firstname.lastname@example.org
All artistic advisers are paid for their time by National Theatre of Scotland